Popularly known as the Ping-Pong sport, Table Tennis can be played by two or four players. The game involves a lightweight ball that is to be hit back and forth across a table using a small racquet. The game is played on a hard table divided by a net. The International Table Tennis Federation governs all the international table tennis associations.
To commence playing the game, you will need a tennis racquet, balls, and a table tennis table. With practice, as your quality of game improves beyond the beginner’s level, you might want to invest in procuring advanced standards of equipment like racquets and accessories that enhance your game and style. If you are looking for a table tennis racquet, you’ll probably be baffled at the number of options available in the market. It’s always better to undertake a good market survey so as to make an informed and appropriate choice. Here, we have reviewed a few branded racquets that could emerge as one of your best instruments to win a Ping-Pong challenge.
- Best Table Tennis Racquets for Beginners 2019
- Top 5 Best Table Tennis Paddles for Beginners (Reviews)
- Final Thoughts
Best Table Tennis Racquets for Beginners 2019
For Beginners, these are undoubtedly the best table tennis paddles.
|Ping Pong Paddles for Beginners||Review||Price|
|#1 Butterfly 401 Shakehand Ping Pong Paddle||Read Review||Check Price|
|#2 STIGA Titan Table Tennis Racquet||Read Review||Check Price|
|#3 STIGA Evolution Ping Pong Paddle||Read Review||Check Price|
|#4 Eastfield Allround Professional Table Tennis Racquet||Read Review||Check Price|
|#5 Killerspin JET200 Ping Pong Paddle||Read Review||Check Price|
Top 5 Best Table Tennis Paddles for Beginners (Reviews)
Here are reviews of all top 5 paddles for beginners, which you can buy without any hesitation.
If you are a player of this wonderful sport that has gained popularity across various countries since its debut in Olympics in 1988, you must have been scouting for the appropriate equipment to win your game. Our review of Butterfly 401 Shakehand Table Tennis Racquet may help you bid for the best product.
Whether you are a beginner or an intermediate player, looking for that high-quality table tennis racquet, the Butterfly 401 is a reasonably good choice. Unlike many of its kind, it may intrigue you to know that Butterfly 401 had been awarded the Buyer’s Choice soon after its release in the sports market. With it’s precise built, this racquet makes it to the ‘legendary category’ for a simple and entertaining indoor sport.
- Appropriately designed for the simple Olympic Table Tennis
- Yuki rubber fastened on both sides of the racquet generates high spins
- Fitted with a 2.1mm extra soft sponge layer, the racquet gives a supple feel to the player’s hand and has an inverted surface
- The set comes with an additional racquet and includes the racquet cover
- Innovation speed: 8.0
- Control: 8.50
- Spin: 8.0
- The tacky surface offers great spin
- The sponge provides cushion and comfort, power and spin
- Comes with the racquet cover to protect the racquet from external damage
- Manufactured by an eminent company Butterfly
- While the sponge density is spin-friendly, it can affect the player’s control. As recommended by professional players, it’ sensible for beginners to purchase a paddle that offers sponge density of 1.5- 1.8.
- The sticky surface attracts dust and grit
- Requires regular cleaning to retain spin
- Does not have an approval from the ITTF
Price: Reasonably priced, this product is a good purchase for intermediate level players than beginners, as the paddle attributes allow players to control and maneuver shots accordingly.
Overall, for its affordable price, Butterfly 401 with the paddle and the racquet cover that makes it handy, it is quite a judicious purchase and a sensible investment if you wish to pursue the game seriously. Made of Yuki rubber, it’s a signature product from Butterfly. The racquet may not suit an experienced player’s needs. The tackiness of the racquet could possibly dissipate quickly, but with some extra caution and care, the longevity could be increased. However, the product is not ITTF approved and so you might not be able to use it for playing tournaments.
If you love playing table tennis, you must be well aware of the benefits of a quality racquet and its contribution in improving your overall playing skills. It’s best to choose a customized racquet carefully post-market research that suits your style and level of play. Our review of STIGA Titan Table Tennis Racquet can guide you to select the best product.
The STIGA Titan is close to a perfect one for beginners of the sport and has the features that can enable to improve skills over a short period of time with dedicated practice. With its attributes, STIGA Titan offers players with enhanced control and smoother ball placement to any area of the table that you wish to dominate your game.
- Sponge thickness: 2.0mm
- 1 x 6 x 0.5 inches
- Speed: 80
- Spin: 77
- Control: 82
- 5-ply Extra Light Blade and 2 layers of Carbon fiber
- Performance: Level Paddle
- Inverted Tournament Rubber which is ITTF approved
- Paddle weight: 150 grams
Technology: The STIGA Titan Table Tennis Racquet has been crafted under special technology that contributes to its features. The crystal technology makes the blade surface hard and staff helping to increase the speed at which the racquet hits the ball. Secondly, produced with a focus on the weight balance rate and ball sensitivity allows for faster recovery and longer play. The combination of control and optimum elasticity attributes to the possibility of playing with high speed. The Nano composite technology makes for tighter bonds in the rubber thereby increasing the speed and spin. Fourthly, the light weight of the racquet is attributed by the use of Balsa technology that uses ultra-light center ply.
- Paddle: the lightweight paddle enhances the grip of the handle providing a very good feel and spin to it that may not be available on a cheap racquet. It is a fast paddle for aggressive players.
- The racquet is great value for the price you pay
- The rubber offers improved spin
- It is developed through intensive research and testing process
- It is delivered assembled
- The power could require improvement as the design is more spin-pro
- The sponge quality is not at par with the international standard
Price: the STIGA Titan Table Tennis Racquet is inexpensive and great value for money.
Selecting the STIGA Titan would be a sensible pick as it’s affordable and provides several features in comparison to any other paddle available in the similar price bracket. The rigorous process of manufacturing the racquet ensures a perfect balance of quality materials, sound technology and skilled workmanship in improving its performance. Moreover, with its approval from the ITTF, you can challenge and play any tournament with this high-performance racquet.
Whether you are a beginner or an expert player of table tennis, you may never like to settle for an underrated racquet. While the market offers several options to choose from, we have reviewed the STIGA Evolution Table Tennis Racquet for you to purchase the best that suits your level and comfort of playing the game.
The STIGA Evolution Table Tennis Racquet is quite distinct from other pre-made racquets and is crafted to suit the professional player’s style. Featuring thick premium rubbers and 6-ply blades, the racquet blade has a ‘shock dispersion tube’ which is referred to the hollow part of the handle. It has been designed to create compulsive reactions on the ball when the racquet hits it. This also contributes to the unique sound that the racquet generates on hitting the ball. If you are a beginner it may take a while to get used to the racquet blade.
- Features the shock dispersion technology
- Speed: 96
- Spin: 94
- Control: 90
- Sponge: 2 mm
- Blades: 6-Ply Lightweight
- ITTF approved rubber for Tournament Play
- Weight: 6.0 oz
- Tackiness: 2.5
Price: Available at an affordable price, the STIGA Evolution Table Tennis Racquet is equipped with most features to satisfy intermediate level player needs.
Why should you buy STIGA Evolution Table Tennis racquet?
The racquet is pre-assembled and delivers high-quality performance. It’s lightweight and balance coupled with professional class rubber is a good buy for its modest price. It’s a magic racquet, especially for those who transit from entry-level players to intermediate level. With its ITTF approval tag, you can use it for playing tournaments. The premium rubber offers a grander spin on the ball as compared to inferior quality covers of cheaper paddles. However, this calls for necessary adjustments at the player’s level to gain the required comfort.
- The paddle make, allows both the players comfort at their levels. Defensive players will have the ease of returning the ball with great precision, while those at the level of trying to improve technique and imbibe the skill will have feel secured in their shots that may not demand much power.
- The spin dimension is very high than that of any cheaper variety paddle
- Lightweight of the racquet provides an edge to players who enjoy playing closer to the table.
- Many players cite the disadvantage of the hollow grip attributed by its lightweight that makes it difficult to maintain control.
- While you gain in control, you may lose in speed and so may not be a great choice for aggressive players.
- Those who enjoy playing away from the table may face challenges in getting the ball over the net.
- The stickiness of the rubber on the paddle may not be great for beginners
STIGA Evolution’s rubber and general build quality are worth its price. If you wish to purchase higher quality paddles, you can check out options as the manufacturer offers various paddle models, specially engineered for offensive players. To protect the racquet from dust and abrasions it is recommended to use the cover always.
If you have tried and tested several brands and have been scouting for a table tennis racquet of novel make, you can try the Allround Professional racquet from Eastfield. This is the first racquet released by Eastfield, which is the creation of Ben Larcombe who runs the popular Expert Table Tennis website. With an aim to provide a classy and learning experience to novice players, this racquet is crafted to enable enhanced control and feeling instead of intense speed.
- Rubbers: Soft 2.1mm which is ITTF approved.
- Blade: All-wood 5-ply
Price: the Eastfield Allround Professional Table Tennis Racquet is an excellent choice for players at the beginner’s level. Though it is more expensive than many other racquets aimed at entry-level players, it is still much cheaper than most customized table tennis racquets.
- This custom made racquet rather than factory produced and allows easy replacement of rubbers as and when desired.
- The racquet is easy to play with and does not demand any specific technique to keep the ball on the table.
- The paddle rubber and blade are designed to provide a greater error margin as compared to the faster prototypes.
- The Eastfield Allround Professional Table Tennis Racquet is considerably good for playing push shots as it allows a smoother hit over the net with the scope of backspin.
- The rubbers allow players to generate decent spin, especially side and backspin.
- Little expensive compared to its prototypes in the category but is very well made with the high-quality materials used in manufacturing the product.
- The paddle rubbers are not too sensitive to the incoming spin
- The racquet is quite slow to play with and needs physical effort and power to extend stroke for faster shots.
- Playing with a slower racquet may lessen chances of over-hitting attacks and you may have to use better techniques to generate greater momentum. Top spins may not come easily.
Is it worth investing in the Eastfield Allround Professional Table Tennis Racquet?
As long as new players are concerned, it’s a great pick. Even though the racquet is slightly slower than other eminent beginner racquets, it can help players learn the appropriate techniques to play faster shots. For experienced players who like to play steady, controlled shots and play at a lower pace, this could be a sensible choice. The racquet is easy to push and block with and you can conveniently attack the opponent by slowing the ball down.
A new tennis racquet, the Eastfield Allround is a high-quality starter of a kind. While competitors such as Butterfly, STIGA, DHS, Joola and many more established brands dominate the market, Ben Larcombe has succeeded in creating an ITTF approved racquet to make its mark in this domain.
Product description: Relatively new in the table tennis domain, this American brand has emerged as bestsellers in the ping pong market. Having labeled racquets as “paddles” they have gained popularity among the US audience. Killerspin JET200 Table Tennis Paddle features two 1.8mm ‘performance’ rubbers that come in a new fascinating look blue and black look instead of the custom red and black body. The equal weight distribution and quality-make caters to all-round table tennis game and enables players to focus on precision shots. The product arrives with a 30-day limited warranty.
- 5 layers plywood blade
- Handle: flared 3.88”
- Blade thickness: 0.23”
- Sponge: 0.07”
- Speed: 6.0
- Spin: 7.0
- Control: 8.5
- Available in Blue/Yellow/Black/White colours
- Killerspin JET200 Table Tennis Paddle is ideal for entry-level and recreational players
- The rubber offers scope for greater attack. They are certainly better than some of the cheap paddles that come for free with the table.
- The blade enhances players to consistently play
- The solid construction of the racquet allows steady play with a high-quality blade and rubber.
- The racquet is slow with poor power and does not allow much of a spin.
- The colour choice of the rubber, unfortunately, disapproves its use to play any sort of league or tournament.
- The rubber wears out relatively faster than other racquets available in the market for a similar price
- The blade quality is not grand and its inferior make is the same as that of the JET200 with only an increased sponge thickness that has increased from 1.5mm to 1.8mm.
- It is not ITTF approved and thus the paddle cannot be used to play tournaments
- Compared to other paddles in the same skill bracket, Killerspin JET200 Table Tennis Paddle is an expensive choice to make.
If you are a beginner, this paddle with considerable control and solid build is good enough to purchase. Though it’s relatively expensive than some of the other beginner’s paddles, its control can assure you better results than the cheaper options. If you are serious about honing your table tennis skills, the Killerspin JET200 Table Tennis Paddle with its charming appearance is worth buying to start with. You could develop your unique style while gradually practicing with this racquet.
However, having said that, this racquet may not be a sensible choice for advanced players as it misses on many characteristics required to excel in higher level games and is also not ITTF approved. Alternatively, you could look up relatively higher priced racquets like the Palio Expert 2 or Palio CJ8000 based on your need and playing skill.
- Top 15 Best Ping Pong Paddle Reviews
- Best Table Tennis Paddles for Spin
- Best Table Tennis Racquets for Intermediate Players
With too many options available in the market, it could be a daunting task to choose the perfect racquet that optimizes the player’s playing potential. Every grade of player i.e. whether you are a beginner, an intermediate or an advanced level of player has a particular style and thus may look for customized features on the racquet.
No matter which racquet you choose to use, ultimately winning a game will depend on your eligibility and skills of playing the sport. A good racquet is definitely not a substitute for good techniques. However, the appropriate combination of blades and rubber that match the right playing procedure and techniques will ensure excellent performance.