Each Pickleball Paddle is uniquely designed and comes in distinct sizes, materials, weight, grip, and construction. Players must consider all the features of the pickleball gear prior to purchasing one of the best pickleball paddles.
Table of Contents
- List of Best Pickleball Paddles 2020
- Top 15 Best Pickleball Paddle Reviews 2020
- #1. Niupipo Graphite Pickleball Paddle
- #2. Upstreet Graphite Pickleball Paddle
- #3. Onix Graphite Z5 Pickleball Paddle
- #4. GAMMA Micron 2.0 Pickleball Paddle
- #5. Rally Graphite Power 2.0 Pickleball Paddle
- #6. Selkirk Sport 30P XL Epic Graphite Paddle
- #7. Amazin’ Aces ‘BAINBRIDGE’ Pickleball Paddle
- #8. Paddletek Bantam EX-L Pickleball Paddle
- #9. Paddletek Element Pickleball Paddle
- #10. Amazin’ Aces Pickleball Paddle
- #11. Rally Graphite 6.7-7.5 oz. Pickleball Paddle
- #12. Rally Meister Rally-Bundle Pickleball Paddle
- #13. Rally Tyro Pickleball Paddle
- #14. Franklin Sports Pickleball X-Finity Paddle
- #15. Gearbox Seven Pickleball Paddle
- Pickleball Paddle Buying Guide
List of Best Pickleball Paddles 2020
All these top-rated pickleball paddles listed by experts based on a number of factors like durability, playability, weight, sweet spot, balance, shape, etc..
Pickleball is a game of everyone and doesn’t limit anyone from any age group to enjoy this game. The paddles for this game are fabricated from various materials. These are available in grip handles of different sizes. It is best to look into the features of the paddle to decide which one would prove to be the best for you.
For instance, light paddles are ideal for players who are looking for control over their hit. Heavyweight paddles offer a lot of drive with minimal effort put in by the player. Heavyweight paddles are not suited for beginners. Nomex cores offer excellent control whereas polymer cores are ideal for those who prefer a quieter paddle.
Make sure to read all the reviews carefully before purchasing a paddle that is best suited for you & you can also go through our buying guide to get more help in choosing one of the best pickleball paddles.
Top 15 Best Pickleball Paddle Reviews 2020
Pickleball is a fun game to indulge in no matter what your age is. If you are serious about the game, then upgrading your equipment can perhaps help you improve your pickleball game. It isn’t an easy task to pick the best pickleball paddle as there are a plethora of options available. Advanced players need to pick a pickleball paddle with more power and less control.
Those who are new to the game need to pick a paddle with some control in order to help you place the shots. People with arm fatigue can consider purchasing a lighter paddle. Here are reviews of 15 beautifully crafted pickleball paddle which you can choose from based on your needs.
- Built from quality materials
- Larger sweet spot
- Rugged edge guard withstands damages
- Offers better grip
- Best for beginners to intermediates
- Not for advance level players
- Perforated, sweat-absorbent cushion grip style
- Made from unique core technology
- Approved for tournament play
- Lightweight paddle promises an excellent balance of power and control
- Durable and responsive honeycomb composite polymer core
- Can be used both outdoors and indoors
The Niupipo Pickleball paddle has been designed with the latest innovation, graphite carbon fiber face and honeycomb composite polymer core. This core was developed for generating nice bounce, reduce ball deflection, and enhance the strength of your shots. Niupipo Pickleball paddle is one of the lightweight paddles produced by the company and is made specifically for the players who are looking for better control.
- Ideal for beginner to intermediate players
- Offers better control to the players
- Durable and is made of high-end materials
- Less power
- Weighs 8.6 ounces
- 5” grip
- Offers widespread ball control
- Durable to survive accidental paddle swipes against the ground
- Comprises of a protective ring around the taped neck
- Consists of a core of polypropylene honeycomb composite
- Bonded to offer protection to the core from environmental damage
This advanced pickleball paddle offered by Upstreet is a favorite amongst pickleball players regardless of their skill set. This pickleball paddle promises sound consistency and offers a resilient surface. Each paddle offered by the company is inspected thoroughly for the weak spots. Optimum mechanical performance is assured by the polypropylene Honeycomb pickleball paddle.
Many of the best pickleball paddles range anywhere from 6 to 14 ounces. Graphite Pickleball paddle weighs 8.6 ounces. A lighter paddle offers better control but less drive. A heavier paddle offers more drive and power but less control. Graphite pickleball paddle strikes a perfect balance as it is neither too light nor heavy. The paddle comprises of thick foam backing which ensures a smooth and comfortable grip. This is one of the most popular paddles amongst advanced players.
- Widebody shape makes it ideal for beginners
- Offers outstanding ball control
- Comprises of a basic paddle core in comparison to other paddles in the price range
- Designed with high-performance composite materials
- Widebody dimensions
- Wide hitting surface
- Available in exciting colors
- Offers great control
- Features Nomex core
- Strikes a perfect balance between speed and power
The Graphite Z5 pickleball paddle is an immensely popular model amongst pickleball players. This paddle offers finesse and great control to the players. The wide body design of the paddle promises high performance. The solid feel of this paddle appeals to all players regardless of their experience.
This paddle is perfect for players who are looking for a quality medium weight paddle. This paddle offers great control with its well-balanced features. This paddle is an ideal option for players who are looking to save some money on a graphite paddle. Hence, it is certainly one of the best pickleball paddles in the world right now.
- Excellent control and power offered by the honeycomb core
- The perfect paddle for those looking for a smaller grip and a mid-weight paddle
- Composite core and textured fiberglass face promises good control and crisp feel
- Complies with USAPA specifications
- Few players are not really fond of the loud sound that comes from the paddle during the gameplay
- The flush rubber rim offered does not really offer any realistic advantage to the players
- Weighs 7.9 ounces
- Comprises of a textured fiberglass face
- Excellent control and power offered by Aramid Honeycomb
- GAMMA honeycomb grip promises comfort while playing
- 4” grip size
- GAMMA Durable Edge Guard offers protection to the core and the paddle hitting surface against any court damage
Gamma Classic features a pickleball paddle with a balanced weight. The paddle moves around easily and is pretty much on the lighter side. It features mild padding and comprises grooves to offer a better grip to the players.
- Optimal balance of precision and power
- Accurate shot control
- The extra-large sweet spot
- Medium tac perforated grip
- Performance and ball control enhanced by the graphite surface
- Interlocking net guard reduces vibration, maximizes the sweet spot and offers unrivaled paddle protection
- Designed and manufactured in the USA
- An ideal choice for beginners because of its wide hitting surface and lightweight design
- Nomex core makes the paddle resistant to cracks, dents, and damage
- Ideal for elderly players
- Not suitable for people looking for a quieter paddle
- An edge guard is not desired by experienced players
- Extra-large paddles promise a larger sweet spot
- The graphite face offers precise ball control
- The Winn moisture control grip increases paddle control and prevents slippage
- The weight is balanced to offer power and quick shot response to the players
- Interlocking Neck Guard and Corner-Shield ensure durability and greatly enhance strength
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty and 30-day return policy
- USAPA approved for tournament play
The pickleball paddle has been fabricated to offer an incredible experience to the players at an affordable price. This paddle has been designed by a national champion pickleball player who also happens to be a trained mechanical engineer. New proprietary components and state-of-the-industry materials promise unrivaled performance and durability.
Superior strength is imparted to this paddle by the graphite face. This as well eliminates denting and dinging. The honeycomb core is strong and lightweight. It helps in delivering passing shot power and precise ball control. The grip remains solid and dry owing to the Winn Dry Grip. The paddle is kept secure by the flared octagonal handle cap. The 4.25-inches grip is considered to be an ideal size for beginners.
- Ideal for intermediate to advanced players
- Lighter paddle
- Not ideal for those looking for heavier paddles offering better power
- Durable and Lightweight
- USAPA Tested
- Approved for tournament play
- Based on Polymer PowerCore Technology
- Pro-Lite Gamma Grip
This paddle has been designed based on PowerCore technology. Unparalleled control is offered in a polymer paddle by the graphite playing surface. This paddle features a PowerCore honeycomb core.
This paddle offers a soft feel and would appeal to the advanced players. The maximum hitting surface is offered by the extra low profile edge guard. It is available in three color combinations: Indigo Rose, Crimson Coal, and Blue Crush
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors
- Large sweet spot
- Optimal balance between control and power
- Honeycomb core ensures longevity and strength
- Maximum comfort is offered by a honeycomb core
- Includes paddle cover
- Made of high-quality wood
- Styling needs to be upgraded.
- Premium cushion grip
- The average weight of 7.9 oz
- No edge guard
- Features an aluminum and honeycomb core
- Fiberglass paddle face
- Paddle length of 16”
The Bainbridge pickleball paddle features durable fiberglass and graphite blend face coupled with an aluminum honeycomb core. An ultra cushion premium grip delivers maximum performance. This paddle features the highest performance paddles offered by the company and weighs just 7.9 oz. The design offers a blend of control and power. Each paddle comes with a cover that protects your paddle during storage. The cover comprises of the convenient shoulder strap which promises easier transportation.
This is one of the best pickleball paddles for both beginners and advanced players. The aluminum core ensures connectedness with the paddle. The graphite face offers better control. The paddle is rendered responsive owing to the use of honeycomb core. The rimless design ensures few mishits and less weight.
- Delivers great value and action
- Better grip
- Sturdy construction
- Good for groundstrokes, placement, and soft game
- Not suitable for players with large hand
- Balanced weight distribution
- Extra-large playing surface
- Increased all-around performance
The Bantam EX-L Pickleball Paddle is one of the most popular paddles offered by Paddletek. This paddle features a specialized core made of polymer and is designed to offer more placement control and greater power. The hits with this paddle are strong yet quieter when compared to Nomex core paddles.
This model can be termed as a winner in the lighter weight paddles category. This paddle weighs 7.7 to 8.3 ounces on average. The wide face of 7-3/4” offers decent room on the face. The grip is of medium size and is padded to ensure comfort to the players.
- Suitable for all players despite their skill set
- Loved by professionals
- 5-year no dead spot guarantee
- One year manufacturer’s guarantee
- Polymer core paddle imparts durability
- Not ideal for players looking for heavier paddles offering more power and drive
- Silkscreened surface imparts a lightweight feel
- Bit heavier than Paddletek Bantam TS-5
- Larger playing surface
- Offers a great combination of power and control
- Excellent maneuverability and speed
The Element Pickleball Paddle is an immensely popular paddle offered by Paddletek. This model is quite similar to the Phoenix Pro when it comes to the size. This lighter paddle permits players to impart spin without losing any vital power on their hits. Quickness and maximum maneuverability are offered when the oversized hitting area is coupled with the lightest possible weight for a paddle.
This paddle comprises a polymer core that has been developed specifically by the manufacturer. This paddle falls in the middleweight category and weighs around 7.5 to 7.8 ounces. Middleweight paddles offer a better combination of control and weight. The wide face offers a decent amount of hitting the surface. The grip is slightly cushioned and has a smaller circumference. The paddles feature the smallest edge guard.
- Value for Money
- Excellent for Beginners
- Decent Quality
- High performing
- Not for intermediate & advanced level players
These are Pickleball Paddles from Amazin Aces which have specifically been designed for beginners. They are wooden paddles and have been carefully designed to offer maximum performance. The key features of this pickleball paddle set are as follows.
- These are wooden paddles offering plenty of pop.
- The dimensions of this paddle are 7’’ W x 15-1/2’’ L which meets the USAPA specifications.
- The grip circumference is 4-1/4’’.
- These paddles have been made by fashioning seven plies of maple wood to form a rigid and durable paddle.
- It comes with a high-quality polyurethane grip.
- The grip of these paddles has a slightly elevated ribbing around the handle to ensure a perfect grip.
- It also comes with a wrist strap at the bottom to ensure that it doesn’t fly out of the hands while swinging. It can also be used when storing the paddle on the hook or nail.
- They come with 4 pickleballs which are durable and high performing.
- The pickleballs are outdoor balls but they also work as indoor balls.
- The complete set includes 2 pickleball paddles, 4 outdoor pickleballs and a PDF guide via email for rules, tips, etc.
- It comes with a colourful screen printing of an orange pickleball and Amazin Aces logo on both sides of the paddle.
- This package comes in a sharp looking box with the logo sign on it which can account for a great gift set.
- Trim edge guard that keeps it safe from any ground contact.
- Lightweight suitable for all level players.
- Bigger Sweet Spot.
- Good Balance
- Sturdy and durable
- Smooth surface for better spin.
- In some rare cases, top-edging might go loose.
These are Pickleball Paddles from Rally which have been known to incorporate the state of the industry materials to provide maximum playability and durability. The key features of this pickleball paddle are as follows.
- The graphite face of the paddles is made up of 0/90 unidirectional carbon layers for superior strength that prevents it from denting and dinging.
- The core of the paddles features Nomex honeycomb which is very lightweight but still strong enough to take multiple slams, volleys, and dinks.
- It comes with a solid grip delivered by Winn Dry Grip that is helpful in avoiding mishits by ensuring a solid and dry grip.
- The average weight of this paddle is 7.6 ounces for the standard version and 8.4 ounces for the power version.
- It comes with a medium grip circumference of 4 ¼’’.
- It has a perforated cushion grip also known as Winn Dry Tac.
- The length of the paddle is about 15 ¾’’ and width of the paddle is 8 1/8’’.
- The length of the grip is 4 ¾’’.
- It comes with an overlapping edge guard which is 1/8’’.
- Very Lightweight paddle.
- It provides better control.
- Meets USAPA Standards.
- Good for Beginners.
- Not an option for Pro players.
These are pickleball paddles from Rally Meister and are the best choices for YMCAs, schools, community centres, etc. that provides paddles to groups of pickleballers. The key features of this paddle are mentioned below.
- It is lighter than most wooden paddles.
- It is made by gluing together 7 plies of honey coloured maple wood that ensures a ridged and strong paddle core.
- It comes with a high-end cushion grip made of top-notch polyurethane.
- The grip is moisture wicking and slightly compressible to ensure a comfortable grip.
- The grip also has a slightly elevated ribbing around the handle to provide a tremendous feel while gripping the handle.
- A wrist strap is also included at the bottom to ensure the stability of it and to provide the convenience of being able to hand it onto a hook.
- The dimensions of this paddle are 7’’ W x 15-1/2’’ L.
- The grip circumference is 4-1/4’’.
- This bundle comes with 2 wood pickleball paddles and 4 green coloured indoor Pickleball Now pickleballs.
- The colour of the pickleballs can vary between green or white.
- The Rally Meister name has been adorned on both sides of the varnished paddle faces.
- Lightweight paddle
- Bigger sweet spot
- Durable edge guard
- Best for control
- Only for Beginners
These are Pickleball Paddles from Rally Tyro which is known to include a large number of technical innovations to make these paddles suitable for all kinds of pickleball players. These are one of the best professional calibre paddles at a reasonable price. The key features of this pickleball paddle are as follows.
- These paddles have been handcrafted from Aerospace Composite materials.
- It comes with a high-quality grip that provides incredible ball feel and control.
- The paddle is really lightweight with a total weight of under 7 ounces to provide better control and faster reaction time.
- The face of these paddles is made up of polycarbonate and is dent-proof.
- These paddles have been designed for both outdoor and indoor play.
- The grip circumference is 4-1/8’’.
- The grip length is 15-5/8’’.
- The paddle length is 15-5/8’’ and width is 7-3/4’’.
- The core material is made up of polymer honeycomb.
- The edge guard is 1/8’’ overlapping paddle face.
- Comfortable and secure grip
- Excellent performance and design
- Better maneuvering
- Quieter than Nomex cores
- Fiberglass faces aren’t as durable as carbon or graphite
- You need to exert a lot of energy to get the drive
- Large sweet spot and perfect balance
- Designed to reduce paddle noise
- Constructed with aluminum core and fiberglass
- Most comfortable grip
- The perfect length provides you the freedom to hold the paddle the way you want
This USAPA approved paddle will never let you down. It features a sturdy construction and is made with an aluminum core and fiberglass. The extreme ergonomic design ensures a comfortable grip. The perfect 5-inch handle offers the necessary length for handling the paddle the way you want to. 8.4-8.6 oz weight ensures that the paddle delivers the power that professional players seek. This paddle delivers pro performance as it has been equipped with the X-Factor. Maximum protection to the paddle is offered by the durable rubber guard. The unique design of the paddle element offers a large sweet spot to the players in addition to the perfect balance. This paddle is ideal for all players despite their skill set.
- Sturdy and Durable
- Big Sweet spot
- Lightweight paddle provides better control
- Edgeless paddle
- Quite expensive in comparison to other pickleball paddles offering similar features
- Lightest paddle designed by Gearbox
- 1-year warranty on the product
- USAPA approved for use in tournaments
- Made with Solid Span Technology
- Carbon Fiber Composition
- Durable, edgeless and molded
- Single piece molded construction
- Maximized sweet spot
- Edgeless, no soft spots, no honeycomb core, no delamination
Gearbox Seven is the lightest paddle created by Gearbox which yet impacts resistant and strong. This paddle has been constructed using the Patent Pending Solid Span Technology. The handle and the paddle face feature a single carbon fiber structure. Extreme durability is imparted to the model with the hand laid carbon fiber incorporated into the design with the Gearbox proprietary process. The ergonomically and exceptionally designed handle ensures control, power, and comfort. This paddle doesn’t feature any soft spots or honeycomb core.
Choosing the best pickleball paddle can be quite overwhelming. For a newcomer, all of them might seem to be the same but actually, they all are quite different. The kind of pickleball paddle that works for your mate might not work for you. Everyone has a different grip size and a different kind of body that can handle a different kind of paddle.
With the wide range of pickleball paddles available from a number of manufacturers, you can very well reach the one that suits you the best. However, the main factor that decides which paddle is best for you is you. A beginner will need a lighter and a shorter pickleball paddle so that it is easy for them to swing and handle.
As for the expert players who have mastered the handling of the paddles, they may seem to have a different view. Some of the experts believe that a lighter paddle offers less power over the ball and is generally more suitable for beginners only. These kinds of players can always go for slightly heavier wooden paddles with the desired grip size.
You will always want to make sure that the grip size and material are of high-quality. Players tend to have sweaty hands during the game which may cause their performance to get affected. The good pickleball paddles come with a moisture-wicking grip material that eliminated this problem. So before going for the final pickleball paddle, make sure you take into account everything about your grip and game.
Pickleball Paddle Buying Guide
The game of Pickleball might come out as a new concept for most people today. But actually, it has been around for more than 50 years. Pickleball is presently one of the fastest-growing sports in the US. The craze for this sport has been seemingly increasing over time. Players often say that it is fun to play and quite addictive too.
So, here in this buying guide, we will answer all the questions, that you desired to ask, being a pickleball player or looking to get into the game.
Frequently Asked Questions
A Pickleball paddle is basically a pickleball gear that is slightly bigger than the table tennis paddle and smaller than the tennis racquet. It may be made up of wood, aluminium or graphite. Since the game of pickleball is kind of a variation of the badminton, tennis and table tennis, the pickleball paddle works in the same way as in these games. The paddle will be used to hit a special pickleball ball just like tennis.
Pickleball is being seen as an emerging sport in the US for quite a long time. Players claim that once you start it, it is hard to get over it. It is quite addictive and fun. With the number of pickleball players increasing, we do recommend you try it if you are looking for something different.
Here are the top five reasons as to why you must buy a pickleball paddle at the earliest.
Basic pickleball gear: Since a pickleball paddle is the basic pickleball gear you need to play the game, you must buy one. A pickleball paddle and a ball are the basic elements of this game and usually, the paddles always come with the balls too.
Easy to use: A pickleball paddle is very easy to use. Once you get into the game, it is easy to swing if you are familiar with any one of the games such as badminton, tennis or table tennis. Even if you are not familiar with these games, it is still easy to use and handle.
Available in many materials: The pickleball paddle is available in many materials that it is made up of. As per the beginners, the wooden paddle might seem heavier and hard to handle. They can always go for the graphite ones. As per the experts, they get to choose from various designs in each of them.
Ideal size: Though some people may find it hard to handle the big tennis racquet, the size of the pickleball paddle is quite suited for everyone. Men, women and children, everyone can use it comfortably without facing any issues regarding the size.
Durable: Unlike many other paddles and racquets, a pickleball paddle is very durable. The wooden pickleball paddle doesn’t get distorted easily even when used very often. You can be sure of your investment that it is going to last longer.
A pickleball paddle can be chosen based on factors like weight, length, durability, power, control, colour, etc..
Weight: Weight is an important factor to consider before buying a pickleball paddle. The weight range for these paddles is 6.8-14 ounces. You need to choose the one according to your level. Beginners might want to go for a lighter paddle since they want to blend in first. Expert players might go for the heavier ones since they know how to control and maneuver it correctly.
Length: Length is another important criterion you need to consider before opting for a paddle. As per the length, there are the regular, wide-body and oversized paddles available for buying. Here too, you would want to consider your level. Extra-long paddles can become quite hard to handle and swing. Therefore, depending upon your grip size and body, you must choose the ideal length of the paddle for yourself.
Control: When you are picking out a pickleball paddle, you should consider how much control it offers you on your arm. Weight is one thing and being able to control the swing motion of your arm due to that is another thing. You need to make sure that you have ideal control over the paddle and the ball.
Power: It is seen that some of the pickleball paddles come with a graphite/cork centre which usually helps to push the ball forward even without applying power. However, this may not be what you want every time. Since you too need to have power over the ball and the paddle, this factor must be considered.
Colour: You can also choose from the various colour options available. However, experts recommend opting for a yellow paddle, since it makes hard for your opponent to determine which direction the ball is coming from.
Check for the paddle’s feel in your hand to suit your style of playing. This includes understanding the swing and responsiveness of the paddle.
The timing of shots: Heavier paddles could take a while to move greatly impacting your game. If you are an advanced player, a lighter paddle could deliver better by allowing you to move quickly.
Check how much you like to move your racquet hand during your game: Every player has a unique playing technique and some prefer moving arms to their bodies. Players who don’t enjoy moving arms too far to place a powerful shot can try heavier paddles as these paddles offer greater velocity with the least movement.
Analyze your shots: Depending on your shot technique you will be able to figure out whether you play the high-speed power shots better or are good at dinking. Understanding your shot potentials could act as a guide in choosing appropriate paddles. Those with high dinking skills could try lightweight paddles while those battling power shots could try heavier ones to compensate for it.
Pickleball Paddles Material
The material used in making a pickleball paddles has a dramatic impact on its weight and rebound power. Typically the following materials are used to construct pickleball paddles.
- Wooden pickleball paddles
With the growing popularity of the sport over the years, the simple design of the pickleball paddle has also undergone a fair amount of rendition. You will find more sophisticated designs on the wooden pickleball paddles. These often come with fancy grips and wrist tapes. Earlier these paddles were made of hardwood and today you will find plywood used widely. Plywoods make the paddles lighter and comfortable to play with.
However, there are some brands that still construct wooden paddles that are durable and cheaper, especially when compared to those constructed with composite or polymer material. The only downside of using wooden pickleball paddles is that they are heavy and could weigh anywhere between 9 and 11 ounces. It still remains a great choice for beginner level players.
- Polymer plastic pickleball paddles
Polymer plastic pickleball paddles are usually lightweight, affordable and long-lasting. These inexpensive paddles made of a blend of resins or plastics are often used by schools and sporting clubs and make for good practice paddles. Polymer paddles are incredibly lightweight and weigh around 7-8 ounce.
However, these paddles are not exactly a favourite among intermediate and advanced players as these aren’t strong enough and don’t perform to the abilities of advanced players. For novel pickleball players, these polymer plastic paddles are a viable choice.
Players looking for a more professional and competitive paddle can choose to opt for the pickleball paddles made of Graphite. These paddles come with a honeycomb inner core and feature a thin graphite sheet on the paddle’s exterior.
Graphite pickleball paddles are light yet strong and highly responsive. They offer great control to the player’s hands and are excellent in maneuvering precise shots.
Despite its lightweight, the graphite paddles can contribute great strength to strike powerful shots. Much like the polymer plastic paddles, the graphite ones also weigh between 7-8 ounces. You can opt for the paddle brands that offer a wide graphite surface for better hits.
Graphite paddles with smaller edge guards are a popular choice among beginners and advanced players alike.
Must Read:- Top Graphite Pickleball Paddles
- Composite pickleball paddles
Pickleball paddles constructed of composite material entail technologically advanced substances such as fibreglass, Aluminium, UV resistant Vinyl and several kinds of polymers. Such materials combine to provide enhanced performance and durability and offer a better responsive paddle surface. Depending on the composite materials and the technology used, the cost of the paddle varies. Composite paddles usually weigh around 8 ounce and these medium-weight paddles are preferred by advanced players as they provide a great deal of power and control.
Pickleball Paddles Core Construction
With the advancement in technology of pickleball paddles, you will find high-quality paddles that come with a differently composed inner core which contributes to the strength, weight, and thickness of the paddle. Most pickleball paddle cores come in a honeycomb design which makes it lightweight and strong. The most commonly used paddle core materials include Aluminium, Polypropylene, and Nomex.
- Aluminium Core Paddles: Aluminium makes for amazing pickleball paddle cores and these paddles are affordable and strong. The lightweight of the aluminium core makes it uniquely responsive and maneuverable. Aluminium paddles are available both in the mid-weight and lightweight category.
- Nomex Core Pickleball Paddles: Nomex is known to be a strong polymer and is largely used in sporting items. The Nomex core originated in the 60s decade. The manufacturing process of these cores includes dipping a sturdy honeycomb framework into a polymer resin. The resultant tough material contributes to the paddle’s firmness as it does not compress easily owing to this engineering process. Paddles constructed with Nomex cores are highly popular among the advanced level of players as they are featherweight and durable yet powerful.
- Polypropylene Core Pickleball Paddles: Paddles with Polypropylene Core is relatively a newer breed as they come with advanced technology. Polypropylene which refers to polymer plastic is known for its durability and lightweight. These are softer than Nomex and Aluminium core and thus are less reflective. This variety offers greater control on shots to the players by providing increased contact with the ball. These cores generate less sound attributed to their sound-absorbing construct as compared to the other core constructs. High performing Pickleball Paddles brands with Polypropylene Core entail a thin edge guard and offer cushioned grips that reduce the vibrations to a great extent.
Choose Pickleball Paddle: Power vs Control
Playing pickleball over a period could provide a better understanding of your preferred style. Whether you enjoy hitting accurate shots or like to put pressure on opponents with mighty shots drawn to the end of the court is regulated by an appropriate pickleball paddle that closely matches your play style. Let’s take a look at both the styles:
- If you value powerful shots over-controlled ones, you must opt for a heavier paddle or one that allows a high potential for deflection. Many power players choose to use the “Champion Pickleball Paddle” which is an USAPA-approved paddle that features a graphite exterior and a Nomex core. This kind of paddle is lightweight (weighing around 7.4 ounces) yet facilitates powerful shots, making it easier to snap and deflect the ball.
- If control is the trick of your gameplay then “touch paddles” would make an excellent choice. Such paddles allow precise shots and are typically lightweight, responsive and maneuverable. If you prefer control, touch paddles offer an edge over other paddles by allowing you to perfectly position your shots time and again. The Premium Pickleball Paddle from GAMMA is a popular touch paddle that comes with a composite fibreglass exterior and an aluminium core. The 4-inch grip and a narrow edge guard of this touch paddle make it comfortable for players to use and offer great responsiveness.
Heavy vs Light Pickleball Paddles
A primary consideration while selecting your pickleball paddle is its weight. The paddle’s weight has a great impact on how your paddle performs adding on to your playing comfort. The weight of a paddle is determined by the material and the cores used in constructing it and such materials could include a range of substances as mentioned in our discussion on the pickleball paddle materials section. Typically pickleball paddles are available in the following weight range:
- 6.5 – 7.2 ounces: These paddles are considered lightweight
- 7.2 and 8.2 ounces: Paddles ranging in this weight category are referred to as mid-weight
- 8.2 and 9.5 ounces: Those pickleball paddles weighing in this range are considered as heavyweight paddles.
Remember that playing with a chunkier paddle may not always be to your advantage as they are less maneuverable though excellent for powerful shots. With heavy pickleball paddles, you can gain more distance and hit powerful shots with lesser effort. However, these paddles could make it difficult to retain precision and could slowly respond to a fast shot. Overshooting dinks accidentally could also land your opponent an advantage of punching the ball back at you.
Lighter paddles are often easier to handle and allow better control, thus making it a good choice for players who like to hit accurate shots. However, a con of using lighter paddles is the less force available when striking the ball. Players have to employ greater energy when making powerful shots which could be taxing, especially when playing for long hours. Sometimes, lighter paddles make more vibrations too when hitting the ball and thus may not be suitable for players with elbow or wrist injuries.
Also check out:-
Do watch these videos:-
#1. Tips on Choosing a Pickleball Paddle with Laura Fenton Kovanda
#2. How to Choose a Pickleball Paddle That is Right For You
Small Grip vs Long Grip Pickleball Paddles
Like its other features, the paddle grip makes a great difference to your performance at a pickleball game. The paddle’s grip length to your hand can accordingly impact your grip and alter your playing comfort.
Paddles with longer grip offer enhanced stability, while those with shorter grips allow better control over the player’s shots. Shorter grips also facilitate spin. It’s best to try paddles with relatively longer or shorter grips while beginning to train so that you can gradually get a hang of how each grip pattern affects your game.
Pickleball experts share some basic patterns that can be sued as a reference while selecting the grip:
- Shorter players with a height below 5’2” usually perform well with a 4” grip
- Players with an average height between 5’3” and 5’8” generally do well with a paddle grip measuring 4 ¼”
- Tall players, above 5’9” usually perform well with a 4 ½” grip.
Along with the grip, it’s essential to check the grip thickness that provides a comfortable feel to your hands. Experimenting could be the key to evolving a level of comfort with the paddle that offers the best grip and gaming comfort. If unsure, veteran players recommend starting with paddles that offer shorter grips. Also, make sure to check the padding material as some paddles used thick gels that might reduce vibrations.
Other pickleball paddles may use a rubbery surface that provides for greater tackiness providing players with a firmer grip. Some paddle construct allows players to change the grips depending on their convenience while others have the grip fixed into the paddle’s handle.
So you should always choose one of the best pickleball paddles & that too very carefully, looking at your needs and your style of gameplay. Of course, our guide & review section is the best thing available that will help you pick the best pickleball paddle depending on various factors, that we have already discussed in this article.